Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exactly what “calculations” can be stored or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly what “calculations” can be stored or not?

Hello all,
    I’m trying to understand a little bit about how the rendering process works so I can know where my processor time is being spent and optimize my workflow with Vray. I understand that you can “save” some of the calculations(like GI solutions) and re-use them so that they do not have to be calculated again at each frame you render.

I want to know exactly what still needs to get calculated at each frame if you are loading a saved Irradiance Map for GI and Direct from VRay lights, so I’ve tried to make a list. Can anyone help me with this - Please correct me if I have something under the wrong heading:

Can be stored and re-used from an Irradiance Map:
    Indirect Illumination from any Max or VRay light object
    Indirect Illumination caustics
    Indirect illumination from VRay Sun
    Illumination from VRay skylight
    All Direct “diffuse” Illumination from any VRay light object (with store w IRmap checked)

Cannot be stored and re-used from an Irradiance Map, but rather must be calculated at every frame:
    Color Mapping
    GI post processing settings
    All shadows (or just blurry shadows?)
    Direct VRay Sun light
    Direct light from a Max light object
    Blurry reflections
    Blurry refractions
    Motion Blur
    Antialising
    Direct Light caustics
    DOF and other camera settings
    Material Translucency settings

And just to be sure:
    Color Mapping and GI Post Processing do not have any effect on the LC or IR maps themselves, correct?

Much thanks to everyone for any help

Can be stored and re-used from an Irradiance Map:
    Just say simple - "indirect illumination". That's it. When store with Irrmap checked - you just baking VRaylight into Irrmap.

And just to be sure:
    Color Mapping and GI Post Processing do not have any effect on the LC or IR maps themselves, correct?
    Colormapping affects distribution of irrmap samples. But, when you reuse irrmap and changes your colormapping settings - it doesn't change anything there.
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

Comment

Paul,
      Got it. Thanks a bunch for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X